Thursday 11 August 2011

Tragedy of Duty

I look upon the glass and duty is all I see.


Dear readers, my entry for this week is more personal than I am accustomed to. Since a certain catastrophic incident last year involving a dimensional spell gone awry, during which my then-wife and I and several others who were present, suffered mild temporal displacement and a complete loss of shared history, I have been an unmarried man, living in heartache. Of course I found my ex-wife and tried talking with her, but she could not remember, as I did. I was nothing more than a stranger.


I've always been a distant and anti-social type of a man, focused only on duty. But loosing my wife, through fault of my own errors, had a traumatic and lasting effect on my ability to associate or mingle sociably with others. I worry that I may bring harm to them, or even, that I do not deserve companionship. Furthermore, the nature of what I do brings a certain height of risk, the risk of pain, endless worry and even death. I convinced myself that a hunter of evil, a hero, cannot live for himself, but only for the protection of the world.


To facilitate my need to try and save everyone, I joined a larger force. I joined the Ultimate Guardians. But even then I could not open up to others on my team. Of course I tried. I made myself seen to be mingling, said all the right things, did everything expected of me, went through the motions. But inside, I was lonely. Always busy doing the only thing I did best; expelling demons. That's when she found me. Alexxia Moon, who would force me to see the world with new eyes, and force me to meet the some one new... Tavia.

No comments:

Post a Comment