Sunday 3 July 2011

Burnside Haunting

"Scarletwitc has control over the ice element and can either fly or speed"


My new friend Witchcraft informed me of a distress call from Project Greenskin a military base dedicated to stopping the rampaging supervillain Grond, and all other unfortunate souls who have been transformed by radiation into creatures of mindless, mutant rage. Most heroes now know that the open grounds of the Southwestern Desert are in fact the radiated former nuclear testing grounds known as Uranium FlatsThe emergency transmission was somewhat garbled by interference, but best I could make out, the base was under attack yet again by a group of radioactive mutants and in danger of being overrun. Witchcraft sensed troubling changes in the mystic currents of the area and set out to investigate, with my help of course.


On the hills west of the desert sits a little town called Burnside, a once-thriving community during the mid-nineteenth century gold rush now plagued with evil. A ghost town ever since, Burnside has experienced a reawakening of late, as dark mysticism compels the long dead townspeople to rise from their graves as spirits with an insatiable hunger for the souls of living.


"Clericus, I am being held captive by the same supernatural threat that is plaguing the old town of Burnside. A powerful Curse of Mystical Concealment prevents me from telling you details, but I may be able to counter the curse with your help. Collect ectoplasmic residue from the Burnside ghosts. These restless and disturbed spirits have been touched by the same corrupting forces that hold me captive. Perhaps by examining them we can discover a solution to my problem as well as help the spirits of Burnside find peace." - Witchcraft.


That was the beginning of the story. Helping the town spirits find peace wasn't too difficult. It is after all part of my job as a trained exorcist. While our friend Witchcraft observed the ectoplasmic residue, I headed up into the higher grounds of Burnside to get a closer look at those great totems and sure enough, they were cursed. They seemed to have been ensorcelled to amplify the evil tainting the town. Destroying them was short work and it certainly helped to lift the weight off the condemned town and let some undead return to their eternal slumber. Upon my return to the hovering form of Witchcraft's astral projection (her body was still captive elsewhere), she spoke of progress locating the source of the mystical power responsible for Burnside's hauntings. She consulted the Eye of Horus but also learnt of trouble brewing in the graveyards. I left immediately and came to sight with a small zombie uprising. Utilising my mystic training, I performed spiritual exorcisms on the evil spirits nearby and laid the zombies to rest with my soul-blade, the Sword of Leviticus.


I later visited Witchcraft on the astral plane where regretful, she revealed to me the cause of the great evil that was upon the town of Burnside - a powerful mystic called Talisman who just so happened to also be her twin sister.


"Now that I am free of the Curse of Mystical Concealment, I can finally tell you the truth: My evil sister Talisman captured me, took me to the Haunted Mine and is holding me captive with a Curse of Frigid Despair. It takes all my energy to produce this astral projection, and I'm afraid my time is running short. Talisman tells me I must submit my power to her or perish. She must need the extra power for something huge. Hurry, Clericus, I sense she is growing impatient with me, and readying the materials for a ceremony to sacrifice me to the dark gods. Talisman has made her lair in the Haunted Mine near the graveyard of Burnside, west of the town." - Witchcraft.


Defeating the supervillainess wasn't much of a challenge. I overpowered her with the incantations of the Holy Ghost and felled her with my soul-blade. Once freed, Witchcraft and I searched for Talisman's minion Leech and found him using the power of mind's eye. Leech was creating a new irradiate army inside of an old gold mine within the Atomic Wasteland. There was an orb I had recovered from Talisman which was possibly used it to control Leech, hence when she was defeated, Leech was freed from supernatural servitude. Witchcraft surmised that he was likely plotting revenge against humanity. Obviously we couldn't let that happen so I acted quickly to stop this new villain. It was at the Atomic Wasteland that I met the Scarletwitc, an ice-controlling heroine in blue who could fly and move at super speed. The soul-blade made short work of the supernatural supervillain Leech who I then arrested and banished to prison. I returned to Witchcraft with a parting gift, the Circlet of Karathos, something Leech had dropped which she seemed very excited about. The Scarletwitc and I now focused our attention on helping PRIMUS stop the radioactive ringleader Fallout.

No comments:

Post a Comment