Sunday 3 July 2011

Gadanette

"My student, the very beautiful Gadanette. Young, fashionable and gifted with telepathy, telekinesis, teleport and diamond-form skin."

So my application's gone through the school and I'm officially being considered as a potential teacher at the Exemplar Hero Academy. I've even been supplied a well-fitted uniform and communications ring. Just as well because while on patrol in Millennium City, I met a young hero trying out her powers at the local training facilities. She seemed intrigued by what I could do and later approached me with a wall of questions, which I was only too happy to answer by demonstration. She seemed a nice enough girl and the two of us went on patrol in Westside to put to practice some of the advise I'd given her. By the end of the day she was already more powerful than before. Even impressed Kodiak who tasked us with infiltrating the[New Purple Gang, taking down deranged weaponsmith Wayland Talos and bringing in Kevin Poe again for trying to build his Psi Bomb. We tore through the crime-ridden neighbourhoods of Westside, helping MCPD Chief Surhoff gather enough incriminating evidence to bring down all the local gangs and helped reporter Julie Morgan to foil yet another one of Foxbat's ping-pong heist and television takeover attempt. It all culminated with the defeat of Hi Pan and the Cult of the Red Banner who had magicked the Black AcesNew Purple GangCobra Lords and Maniacs crimelords from jail in order to wipe them all out using the power of The Death Dragon god. My soul-blade, forged by cosmic celestial, was all I needed to fall this false god and return Hi Pan to custody. The new hero and I got to know each other better over the course of the day. Her name was Gadanette Le Marques, a twenty-two year old orphan. Her parents were Robert and Emma Le Marques and this is her story.


"I had a pretty bad accident when I was six and couldn't wake up again. The doctors lied to my parents and told them I was dead. I don't know who they were, why they did what they did or what organisation they worked for, but I remember that they used my body for experiments. One of them was a novice and he accidentally infected me with a supervirus that developed my mental capabilities. He gave me my way out of that facility. I don't know how it works but I could teleport, read minds and move things without touching them. I escaped and ran away but when I got home I found my parents dead. Someone had been there and killed them. Whoever they were, I'm sure they failed their operation and were trying to 'clear out' everyone involved. They're probably still out to get me. I don't remember any faces or anything though, I was captive for well over a decade, always drugged and abused while they did their tests and analysis, again and again. It's alright though, I'm over it. It's been over a year since my escape, fifteen maybe sixteen years since the original accident. I'm just looking forwards now, use my powers for good things, fight big crazy science terrorists like the ones who kidnapped me, try and protect others from the same fate. I've been looking into joining the Exemplar Hero Academy actually, sharpen my abilities, join a team and help fight the good fight. What do you think?"


To be perfectly honest, I really could not imagine what the poor girl had been through all her life. To have endured an entire childhood in the captivity of mad scientists and still come out of it with a positive mind and a heroic outlook, it shows a great strength of character and it's that level of willpower and positive energy that the world needs more of. Gadanette could have allowed herself to be swallowed with hatred and anger, generalise the blame for what happened to her and her parents on the world and take it out on society, it happens everyday with street criminals, murderers and supervillains. Evildoers who inflict pain and suffering only end up breeding more evil by way of their victims, but this one girl chose to see the light and become a hero. Gadanette, yours is truly an inspiring tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment