Monday 18 July 2011

Serpent Slayed



screenshot_2011-07-16-19-29-14screenshot_2011-07-16-19-45-33screenshot_2011-07-16-18-00-29screenshot_2011-07-16-18-05-32screenshot_2011-07-16-18-05-47screenshot_2011-07-16-18-05-50

Serpent, a set on Flickr. Images captured by MC News Photographer Ryan Santana.

VIPER a band of highly-trained, military-armed agents working to rule and reshape the world in the image of the West African snake-god Nama. During my research, I was able to trace the roots for VIPER, the Venomous Imperial Party of the Eternal Reptile, back to a time before Atlantis, in the mid-nineteenth century. A society of explorers called the Unholy Order of the Grand Reptile became fascinated with a West African cult that worshipped the snake-god Nama. The Unholy Order had disappeared for a time, only to reappear during times of great wars, when the chance to aid governments and pursue their own secret agendas would present itself. The world wars saw thirty of the grandchildren of the original members of the Unholy Order re-establish the Order. It is believed that during their meeting, the snake-god Nama instructed the thirty to build a new nest in a modern world. According to scholars, these thirty founders took an oath to never betray the other founders or the organization and were marked with the sign of the Serpent, forever becoming VIPER.


Of course this oath didn't last. VIPER has the man-power, magic and technological resources to gain a hostile takeover of the world, if ever the Council of Thirty and The Supreme Serpent stopped the in-fighting. Both would reshape the world in their image. Both would create soul-killing totalitarian regimes. The only way these two factions could work together is if they were ever allowed to recover a magical artefact lost to the African plains; the Serpent Lantern. VIPER are always in search for it.


During my time visiting Nigeria, a land in political turmoil, I met up with UNTIL agent Commander Fulani Okonkwo who briefed me on recent VIPER activity at a secret base linked to their criminal Project Scavenger. It was up to me to explore the Serpent Caves and put a stop to the Supreme Serpent and his unrelenting quest for the Serpent Lantern. The day came to an end at the hidden Serpent Caves guarded by a number of dark magicians, the Serpent Mages. After defeating the powerful super-villains Freon and Draconis of the Dragon Branch my presence was quickly announced upwards of the VIPER chain of command and within minutes, I was confronted by the daughter of Nama, the so-called demi-god Viperia. I was outmatched but by sheer unrelenting willpower, I was able to rise to the occasion. For the freedom of the world, Tuwi-shande was felled by my sword. But alas, she fled before the might of my soul-blade and escaped arrest. At the far end of the temple of Nama, I was met by the fleeing Supreme Serpent who had unleashed the Spirit Serpent to distract me from confronting him. I had little other choice than to face the giant snake instead, but the battle was swiftly ended. The venomous fangs of the false gods of VIPER was hardly a match for piercing edge of my celestial blade. With the demon snake banished, I debrief the commander and returned home with a few very happy UNTIL soldiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment